9 Important On site SEO tips
Are you in the process of building a new website? Have you already got a website but are wondering why it isn’t ranking for even low competition keyword phrases? Here are nine very important on site SEO factors that every website owner should be aware of.
1. Canonicalisation / Well-structured Urls / .htaccess
It’s very important that your site redirects from it’s domain with or without “www”. People can access your site using either the http://yoursite.com or http://www.yoursite.com however it is important that you choose which one of these versions you want to use as your main domain, otherwise Google sees this as two separate sites and hence, duplicate content. If you haven’t set this already, search Google for “site:yoursite.com” and note which version of your domain appears most.
You then need to create a 301 redirect to whichever domain is indexed most in the search result. You should also set your preferred domain in Google’s Webmaster Tools to let Google know which one you prefer.
2. Sitemap & Robots.txt
3. Page Titles
4. Meta Descriptions
5. Proper use of H1 & Alt Tags
6. Internal Links
7. Location Clearly Visible / Geomarkup
- Have your full business address in html on the footer of every page.
- Upload a geositemap to Google’s Webmaster Tools. Here’s a handy walk through if you don’t know how.
- Mark up your site using microdata. Here’s a handy tool to help you create your geo markup.
- Include your city name/location in your page titles. This is a proven factor in Google Places ranking.
8. Use Rich Snippets / Microdata
9. Don’t Overdo It!!!
If you have any other factors that you think should be included feel free to comment and if you found this helpful, please share.
Thanks for reading.